Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Jenna Cooks: Potato Soup

 
I'm not a very good cook. Or should I say, I generally do not take the time to learn and become a good cook. But yesterday, I must have been bitten by the cooking/baking bug. 'Tis the season. I went to Ingles to pick up stuff for sausage balls and came back out with ingredients for fudge, soup, and cake. I had a craving for some potato soup due to a cold ('tis also the season) and gave this recipe a go. And was actually surprised how well it turned out. I skipped out on the onions though. Also, be sure to use a bigger pot to cook it in, because I defiantly boiled it over.  I found this recipe online here.

Ingredients
4 (6-ounce) red potatoes
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup prechopped onion
1 1/4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 bacon slices, halved
1.5 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/3 cup)
4 teaspoons thinly sliced green onions
Preparation
Hands-On: 20 Minutes
Total: 20 Minutes
1. Pierce potatoes with a fork. Microwave on HIGH 13 minutes or until tender. Cut in half; cool slightly.
2. While potatoes cook, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth. Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk; add to pan with 1 1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil; stir often. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper.
3. Arrange bacon on a paper towel on a microwave-safe plate. Cover with a paper towel; microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes. Crumble bacon.
4. Discard potato skins. Coarsely mash potatoes into soup. Top with cheese, green onions, and bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment